Zucchini Recipe Round-Up
Earlier this summer we hosted our 1st Annual Zucchini Bake Off! We had so much fun trying all of the different zucchini creations from our customers. We have rounded up some of our favorite recipes so far, and we'll keep add delicious recipes as we discover them.
Recipes and directions for the following Zucchini Recipes are listed below:
- Zucchini Bread Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Grilled Zucchini with Garlic and Salt
- Pad Thai Zoodles
- Poppyseed Summer Pasta
- Zucchini Bread Oats
- Zucchini Fritters
- Zucchini Pie
- Zucchini Salad
- Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
The Winning Recipe:
Zucchini Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
You will need
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded zucchini
For the Frosting
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1-8oz Package of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 Cup Butter, softened
- 2-3 tsp. Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat the first 5 ingredients. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to egg mixture and blend well. Stir in zucchini.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- For frosting: Beat cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.Gradually beat in powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, on low speed until smooth and spreadable (Generously Frosts 24 Cupcake/Muffins).
Grilled Zucchini with Garlic and Salt
You will need
- 2 Tbsp. Avocado Oil/Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
1. Wash, slice and chop fresh zucchini or squash. In a bowl, mix chopped veggies, oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. Pre-heat grill, and cook veggies over low heat until tender, about 20-25 minutes.
3. Serve immediately, or save the leftovers and make a delicious breakfast bake!
Pad Thai Zoodles
This delicious recipe is from another local family farm: Farmhouse Teas
You will need
- 8 cups zucchini, after spiralzed into noodles
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup organic creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup organic fermented soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt + sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 2 drops lime essential oil
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- lime wedges for garnish
- Sprialize zucchini into noodles, making about 8 cups of raw noodles. Sprinkle noddles with 2 teaspoons of sea salt. Mix in well and let sit so the sea salt can pull out some of the liquid.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, sesame seed oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger until well incorporated. Then add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using a colander strain the zucchini noodles out by gently squeezing the excess liquid from the noodles. Give them a little rinse with cool water and squeeze out again. This gets some of the salt out so they are not too salty.
- Place strained noodles in a large bowl, top with chicken, shredded carrots and dressing. Top with chopped cilantro and a couple of lime wedges on the side for extra kick.
Notes: Enjoy with some asian grilled chicken, rice or all on its own as a main dish. Make sure to get the organic, naturally fermented soy sauce to avoid any negative affects of consuming soy based products.
Poppyseed Summer Salad
Recipe from one of our Grocery Partners, LifeSource Natural Foods
You will need
- 1 package linguine
- 1 whole Cucumber, diced
- 1 whole Zucchini, diced
- 1 bunch Green Onions, sliced
- 1 whole Summer Squash, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 whole Garlic Bulb, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 can Black Olives
- 4 Tbsp Poppy Seed
- 4 Tbsp Ground Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 1 bottle French Dressing
- 1 Tbsp Chili Flakes
- 7 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Bring a pot of water to a high boil, add in pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain.
- While the pasta is draining, add 5 tablespoons of olive oil to small pan on medium-high heat.
- After the oil has been thoroughly heated, add the peeled garlic cloves to the oil, stirring slowly until the outside is golden brown.
- In a large bowl add the remaining olive oil to the pasta, you may add more oil depending on how dry the pasta has become, and then add the garlic infused oil including the cloves to the pasta and stir. Put the pasta into the refrigerator to cool down over night or for 3-4 hours.
- While pasta is cooling, dice up your vegetables and gather your remaining ingredients.
- Add ingredients in the order listed above for proper mixing of flavors.
- Add the diced vegetables first and mix thoroughly, next add the Annie’s French dressing and mix until coated.
- Now you can add your dried ingredients and mix again.
- Plop back into the fridge to become colder, especially if it’s a hot day, serve and enjoy!
Zucchini Bread Oats
You will need
- 2 Cups preferred Milk (plus more for desired consistency)
- 1 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Shredded Zucchini (about 1 small)
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 ripe Banana, Mashed
- 1 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract (or 1/2 tsp Vanilla Powder)
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
Pinch Sea Salt
- Warm milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add oats, chia seeds, sea salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Let the oats cook for a couple minutes, then add zucchini, mashed banana, and walnuts. Cook and stir occasionally, for about 5-6 minutes, or until the oats are soft and creamy.
- Add another splash of milk to thin if desired and warm through. Taste for sweetness and add maple syrup if you like. Stir in vanilla.
- Portion into bowls and pile on the toppings. Serve warm.
Topping Ideas: raisins, bee pollen, hemp seeds, blueberries, pepitas, sunflower seeds, a spoonful of nut butter, etc.
Zucchini Fritters with Avocado Dill Dip
You will need
Using the large holes of a box grater, grate zucchini. Place zucchini in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1/2 teaspoons salt. Let stand 10 minutes, and then wring zucchini dry in a clean kitchen towel to remove moisture. Place zucchini in a large bowl and gently mix in egg, garlic, basil, oregano, lemon zest, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine. Slowly add flour, stirring so no lumps form.
Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat until the oil sizzles when you drop a small amount of zucchini mixture into the pan. Carefully drop about 2 tablespoons zucchini mixture into pan; repeat, spacing fritters a few inches apart.
Cook fritters until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Turn fritters, and continue cooking until golden, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer fritters to a plate; set aside in a warm place. Cook remaining zucchini mixture, adding more oil to the pan if necessary.
Note: If you want more veggies try adding a ½ cup of finely chopped kale or spinach!
This was entered in our baking contest and tasted just like an apple pie!
You will need
4 Cups Zucchini (Peeled, Sliced and Seeds Removed)
1 1/4 C Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
2 Tbsp. Flour
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
Cook zucchini in saucepan until translucent, soak in iced water 5 minutes, drain. Put a little flour and sugar in bottom crust to keep from getting soggy. Combine zucchini with remaining ingredients, pour into crust, cover with top crust. Sprinkle with more butter and sugar. Seal crust. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 40 to 50 minutes. This tastes just like real apple pie!
Note: Use the big overgrown sized zucchini.
Zucchini Salad & Sauteed Zucchini
Recipe and Tips from FoodHero.org
For the Zucchini Salad, You will need
- 1 tsp. Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano or Basil
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Pepper
- 4 small Zucchini, sliced crosswise
- 1/2 Cup Onion, sliced thinly or chopped small
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Wash hands with soap and water. Gather ingredients together on a clean surface.
- Mix oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl.
- Add zucchini, onion and cheese. Mix gently. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
We can't forget about these Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Muffins from Danielle Walker over at Against All Grain!
If you have a favorite Zucchini Recipe to add, be sure to add it in the comments!